Tweddle Child and Family Health Service provides a range of residential, in-home and day stay parenting and counselling services designed to support parents and families to care for children from infancy to school age. Tweddle has a focus on the infant-caregiver relationship, strengthening attachment, supporting parenting skills and confidence and supporting mental health and family wellbeing.
Tweddle staff are trained professionals and provide a multidisciplinary approach. They include maternal and child health nurses, social workers, psychologists and early childhood professionals.
Services Provided by Tweddle:
- Day Stay Programs:Available at Maribyrnong, Geelong, Terang and Bacchus Marsh, it offers support for families with children aged up to four years. The Maribyrnong Day Stay is available three weekdays and alternate Saturdays for families with children up to four years of age.
- Residential Programs: Designed to offer more intensive support on a live-in basis for two to four days. The centre is located in Footscray. There is no cost for this service for parents who have a Medicare card. Parents are asked to pay a small fee each day towards the cost of a nappy disposal service if they are using disposables.
- Prison Program:Delivers services to Dame Phyllis Frost Centre for Women, Melbourne Assessment Prison for Men, and Port Phillip Correctional Centre and an education service designed for parents in custody.
- Psychologist Service: Located at The Residential Centre in Footscray, Tweddle’s Infant and Perinatal Psychology Service offers a low-cost outpatient individual, family, relationship and parenting counselling.
- Social Support Service:Available to women who are experiencing domestic violence, substance abuse issues or financial problems. This service caters for families who are already staying at Tweddle. This is a free service.
- In-Home Service:Qualified maternal and child health nurses and early childhood professionals come to the family home for a 2.5-hour visit and support families with feeding, sleep, behaviour and general parenting issues. Response is usually within two to three days of initial contact. The cost is $250.00 for a package, which includes home visit, educational resources and a follow-up telephone call.
Note: Tweddle does not provide a telephone advisory service. Parenting resources are provided through tip sheets and their Facebook and Twitter pages. They suggest parents ring their local maternal and child health nurse for advice. Alternatively, see our list of help service hotlines for assistance.