Suitable from 7 months old.
My son loves utensils, playing with his bib and banging his spoon. With all that to interest him, it is sometimes hard to get him to notice the food I have placed before him. This bolognese hit the spot. He wolfed it down. I like to think it was the bright green that attracted him to it.
This is an easy baby bolognese to prepare with the ingredients you are making for you own meal. The meat and vegetables for the puree is taken out prior to cooking the adult meal, and then fresh spinach and basil is added. I have left tomatoes and onions out of the baby version. Onion, while not an allergen, is high in oligos-fructans, which can sometimes irritate and cause bloating. Tomatoes are also very acidic and so are best introduced after 7 months of age. Every baby is different, however, and so you might find that your baby can tolerate small amounts of onion and tomato.
- 100 grams mince meat
- 1 carrot diced
- ½ zucchini diced
- ½ celery stick diced
- 3 tablespoons of diced basil
- 1 cup of baby spinach leaves.
- Fry the zucchini, celery and carrot until the celery is slightly transparent.
- Add the mince meat and fry until brown.
- Take off the heat and blend the meat mixture with a little water, the spinach and basil.
- Yields around two cups