A year ago, I was deeply depressed and suffering from anxiety. After resigning from my full-time job, one of the people who made me happy was my niece.
One of the only things that kept me sane, or alive, was my niece. I thought about all the things that I would miss out on, like, seeing her go to primary school, graduate university, her 21st birthday, wishing her congratulations on her wedding day. I wouldn’t get to see my brother’s daughter grow up and do all of those things. So, I decided that she was worth living for.
Here we are now, approaching my her second birthday. I babysit her every Monday and it really is the highlight of my week. I like to think that it’s hers, too.
So, for you my little ray of sunshine, the person who made me want to live to see you grow up…these are the 10 things I love about you.
- I love the way you say my name, “Aubie”
- I love it when you give me huggies (cuddles).
- I love your laugh, your smile and your kisses.
- I love it when we take selfies together and I notice the family resemblance between us.
- I love it when you tell me that you’re happy, because you make me happy.
- I love your personality, your cheekiness combined with kindness.
- I love it when you ask me to hold your hand and when you demand I ride the slide with you.
- I love it when we read a book together and you ask me to read it again (and again).
- I love how each week you surprise me with a new word, song or dance.
- I love watching you grow up and become your own little person.
Most of all, I love that you are my niece, my little ray of sunshine, the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. The person I live for. Happy Birthday!